So coming from a big Italian family, Pasta and Sauce was our dinner about twice a week, and then leftovers whenever we wanted. After having the Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery, the key to the weight loss diet is High Protein, low carb. Obviously pasta doesn’t exactly fit that criteria. Zucchini has become a popular pasta replacements because it really absorbs the flavors of the sauce. making zucchini noodles is always a good option, but these Zucchini Boats are a great vessel to soak up all the flavors from this DELICIOUS Turkey Bolognese Sauce!
- 4 medium sized Zucchinis
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped Mushrooms
- 1 lb. 98% Fat Free Ground Turkey
- 28oz can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped Basil
- 1/4 cup of chopped Parsley
- 1 cup Part-Skim Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a medium baking dish with cooking spray.
- wash the zucchinis and cut off the ends. Halve the zucchinis the long way. Using a spoon, scoop and scrape out the inside of the zucchinis, but leave “walls” up on each end so the sauce stays in the Zucchini “boat”. Chop the scraped out zucchini and put to the side. Place the Zucchinis in the prepared baking dish, scooped side up. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and chopped up zucchini. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the lean ground turkey and cook meat thoroughly. Pour in the can or crushed tomatoes and add the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and parsley. Stir the mixture, reduce to low heat, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes and the sauce will start to thicken.
- Pour the sauce into the Zucchini boats. If there is sauce left over after boats are filled, just pour all over the boats, it will absorbs the flavor. Sprinkle the boats with the shredded mozzarella cheese, and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.