Tacos. Tacos. Tacos. Is there anyone who doesn’t love Tacos?! Whether it’s build your own taco night for family dinner, or those crazy nights that always ended with you hungover at Taco Bell at 2am (admit it, we have all had those), Tacos and their iconic flavors are just one of those foods you can never get tired of. Is there anything not to like about Tacos?- Actually yes, a Taco contains an average of about 21 grams of carbs… that’s no bueno… But these healthy, low-carb Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers will make you forget that you have ever wanted that soft shell in the first place!
- 4 medium-sized Bell Peppers (your choice of color)
- Salt and Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 White Onion, Chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 Can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 lb. 98% Fat-Free Ground Turkey
- 1 packet of Low-Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup of Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup of Reduced Fat Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 cups of Shredded Lettuce
- Pico de Gallo and Hot Sauce for serving (or any of your favorite taco toppings) ~If you’re a sour cream person, non-fat plain Greek yogurt is a great healthy and protein packed replacement~
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Halve and remove seeds from 3 of the Bell Peppers and place cut side facing up in the baking dish (if the peppers fall over, ball up some foil wrap to hold peppers in place). Lightly drizzle the peppers with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove seeds and chop the 1 remaining bell pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Cook for about 5 minutes until tender. Stir in the minced garlic and black beans for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the ground lean turkey meat and cook thoroughly. The 98% lean ground turkey meat typically does not have any fat, but drain if necessary. Follow instructions on the low- sodium taco seasoning packet to finish the meat mixture. Stir in the chopped Cilantro.
- Fill the halved bell peppers with the meat mixture. Top with a mix of the shredded cheeses. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
- Top the Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers with the lettuce and your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!